Empowering young adult learners with Special Educational Needs.
Official statistics in Europe suggest that at least 15.4% of the school population have a special educational need which is defined as ‘any learning difficulty or disability that make it harder for someone to learn than most other children and young people of about the same age’.
‘Empowering young adult learners with Special Educational Needs’ (Acronym: SENpower) proposed project aims to bridge this gap by empowering a significant and even increasing percentage of young adult & VET learners with Special Educational Needs (SEN), through the concept of entrepreneurship. This will be achieved through the development of the ‘Entrepreneurship Education and Development Guide for SEN pupils’ guide, a valuable tool for teachers and educators, as well as the development of a series of training curricula, focusing on the concept of entrepreneurship and taking into consideration the special skills and competences of young adult & VET learners with SEN.
‘SENpower’, addresses some of the most important and overarching EU Horizontal education policy objectives as well as specific policy priorities in the sectors of adult & youth.
The objectives of SENpower can be summarised as follows:
1. ‘Extending and Developing educators’ competences’
2. ‘Improving and extending the supply of high quality learning opportunities tailored to the needs of individuals’
3. ‘Social inclusion’ of young adult & VET learners with SEN
4. ‘Promotion of entrepreneurship education and social entrepreneurship among young people’
5. ‘Promotion of empowerment and active citizenship of young people’
Therefore, ‘SENpower’ is a cross-sectoral strategic partnership project focusing on adult education, which has strong European dimension & transnational approach.